This is a healthy and easy to make recipe for breakfast or dinner. The taste of these parathas reminds me of my Mom’s Cabbage Puttu due to the use of similar ingredients. This is a really good way to use leftover cabbage.
Wheat flour – 1 cup
Besan/ Chickpea flour – 3 tbsp
Grated cabbage – 1 cup, tightly packed
Green chillies, minced – 2
Coriander leaves, finely chopped – 2 tbsp
Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Dhania powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1/2 tsp plus, for cooking
- Remove any excess moisture from the cabbage ensuring it is dry. Also see note below.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients except the oil
- Add water as needed and knead into a firm dough. Add 1/2 tsp oil to get a smooth dough
- Divide into 6 to 8 equal portions
- Roll each of them into thin circles (6 to 8 inches diameter)
- Heat a tawa/griddle and place the paratha
- Flip a couple of times and when it starts changing color, apply 1/2 tsp oil and cook well on both sides
- Serve hot with yogurt or your favorite pickle
Note: It is very important that you make the parathas as soon as you prepare the dough. In other words, make the dough only when you are ready to cook them. If left sitting, the cabbage will release water and the dough will become moist and sticky and will lose its firmness.